Urban Sketchers O‘ahu:
We are the O‘ahu regional chapter of Urban Sketchers.
The chapter and this site are administered by Sebastian Sievert, AJ Tauber, and Harald Ebeling. We share an interest in visual arts and have, over the years, dabbled in several of its forms. We first encountered Urban Sketchers in person during a visit to Lyon (France), where a weekend sketch crawl took us by storm (and through the old town). Finding that Hawai‘i did not have an Urban Sketchers chapter, we applied to fill the vacancy and were welcomed into the fold in the spring of 2014.
Just like our parent organization we aspire to raise awareness, interest, and enthusiasm for urban sketching (aka “sketching on location”) as a way to document local scenes, express ourselves artistically, and make connections within and outside our community.
- We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
- Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
- Our drawings are a record of time and place.
- We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
- We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
- We support each other and draw together.
- We share our drawings online.
- We show the world, one drawing at a time.
Also note that sketches from figure drawing sessions, of posed models, or of still lifes are not permitted.