Urban Sketchers O‘ahu:
We are the O‘ahu regional chapter of Urban Sketchers.
The chapter has been led (and this site administered) by Terri, Bill, and Christine since July 2020, when founders Sebastian, AJ, and Harald passed the baton to the new team at the 100th sketch event.
Just like our parent organization, we aspire to raise awareness, interest, and enthusiasm for urban sketching (aka “sketching on location”) as a way to document local scenes, express ourselves artistically, and connect with others.
About the chapter’s beginnings: Co-founders Sebastian Sievert, AJ Tauber, and Harald Ebeling share an interest in visual arts and have, over the years, dabbled in several of its forms. They first encountered Urban Sketchers online, but found that Hawai‘i did not have an Urban Sketchers chapter. They applied to fill the vacancy on Oʻahu and were welcomed into the fold in the spring of 2014. After nearly six years, the time came to turn over the reins!
- We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
- Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
- Our drawings are a record of time and place.
- We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
- We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
- We support each other and draw together.
- We share our drawings online.
- We show the world, one drawing at a time.
Also note that sketches from figure drawing sessions, of posed models, or of still lifes are not permitted.