What to sketch from home? Here’s a list of 20 prompts to get started.Posted: April 9, 2020 Filed under: USkO | Tags: hawaii, illustration, oahu, oahu urban sketchers, sketch at home, sketching, urban sketchers 1 Comment
Hope everyone staying at home is safe and healthy!
Every month, I look forward to our Urban Sketching outing. I sharpen my pencils and pack my bag the night before. But now that we are adjusting to our new normal of social distancing, I have embraced the new direction from USk of sketching from home.
For inspiration, browse through Instagram and you’ll see hundreds of sketchers around the world sketching from their windows. From Rome to Tokyo, it’s really quite inspiring. Honestly, some people have amazing views from their apartments!
Instead of feeling restricted, take this time to be creative. Look around your surroundings and find beauty in the ordinary. Even the kitchen sink can be fascinating.
Here is a list of prompts to get your creative juices flowing:
1. Look out your window. Sketch what you see.
2. Sketch your front door. Don’t forget to include your slippers.
3. Are you spending this downtime watching a lot of Netflix? Sketch from your sofa and include your feet!
4. What does your backyard look like? If you have a garden, sketch your garden.
5. Are you working from home? Sketch your home office. Include your laptop and your morning cup of joe. Embrace the mess.
6. Sketch your lunch. Your lunch probably looks different now that you are eating at home.
7. Do you have a pet? Sketch them watching you draw.
8. You can tell a lot about a person’s interests by looking at their bookshelf. Plus, books come in so many different sizes and colors which makes them fun to draw. Sketch your bookshelf.
9. Look inside your closet. Here’s another place where you can play with textures and colors. Sketch your clothes on hangers.
10. Are you doing a lot of baking? So many people are! Sketch your chocolate-chip cookies or homemade bread baking in the oven.
11. Love your hands! They are our tools for all we do. Sketch your hands sketching.
12. Everyone has a junk drawer. Sketch what’s inside. Paperclips, rubber bands, pens, etc.
13. Laundry hanging in the yard is somehow beautiful and nostalgic in the sunlight. Be sure to include your face masks drying in the sun.
14. Draw your spouse working from home.
15. Pay tribute to our essential workers. Draw your postman or woman delivering your mail.
16. Are you exercising? Sketch your exercise routine. Are you not exercising? Sketch your shoes lying on the floor.
17. De-stressing with puzzles and games? Family game night has become an everyday routine. Sketch your family having fun.
18. Spending more time playing an instrument? Sketch your guitar, ukulele, or banjo…
19. Doing a lot of online shopping? Sketch yourself browsing the merchandise from your phone.
20. Look at your home at night. The mood and surroundings change dramatically when the lamps are on. Sketch your life in the darkness.
Whatever you choose to sketch, have fun and enjoy the process. Don’t forget to post your “Stay at home” sketch every Saturday in April at https://www.flickr.com/groups/uskoahu/
Stay safe and happy sketching.
I’ve seen some excellent exercises related to #15 online. Would love to capture my postal carrier … just wish they weren’t so efficient! :)